EOS, Lanolips, Vaseline, Chapstick, Carmex…the lip balm industry is a big one and one that I have whole heartedly supported ever since I can remember. It all began way back in primary school when every winter I soothed my chapped lips with a bit of Vaseline or my trusty chap stick. Nowadays, I have a full blown obsession with lip balms and all things related. Obviously this is to keep my lips smooth and hydrated, but the fact that flavours are now so downright yummy really hasn’t helped to dampen my enthusiasm.
I have come to the conclusion that this is an obsession that cannot be curbed so I may as well embrace it! This is a selection of some of my most-used balms of the moment (and my staple Lush lip scrub) – I’m using them even more than usual in this colder weather to protect my lips from the elements! I like to wear a balm on its own day-to-day, or if I’m going for a more dramatic look I will pop a bit on underneath a slick of lip stick or gloss.
A quick run through my current favourites looks a little like this…
Lush Bubblegum Lip Scrub – I have been using this as part of my daily evening skin care routine. It tastes ridiculously yummy and ensures my lips stay smooth, removing any little flakey areas. I love this product and pledge to repurchase this until Lush stop making it!
EOS – These balms are a new discovery for me (I know,where have I been?!?) but I have the sweet mint and the pomegranate raspberry varieties. I am head over heels with EOS and am currently trying to bide my time before making my next purchase, I envisage me owning the whole range before too long! I feel that EOS not only hydrate my lips, but also form a protective barrier against the wind and cold air. Perfect excuse to buy more as we come into winter!
Cath Kidston Wild Flowers Set – I love all things Cath Kidston (show me a girl who doesn’t!) and you can tell by the picture that these balms are well used! The design has faded on all of them but as we have come to expect from this brand, they were fabulously retro. This ‘Wild Flowers’ set was something I picked up from T K Maxx and it contained Wild Rose, Bluebell and Honeysuckle. These are a bit lighter in texture than say Carmex or EOS, and the flavours remind me of summer meadows, so these are definitely my summer staple balms which I am still sneaking a slick of every now and again.
Vaseline – Need I say more? Original, Aloe Vera, Cocoa Butter and Rosy lips…at around £3 a pot I have to have them all! I love the new vintage style packaging – do I duplicate my purchases just for new packaging? I’m still deciding!
Burt’s Bees – In the past I have always used the plain balm from this range, but recently I have been exploring the world of flavours they have to offer. My most recent purchase is the Nourishing Lip Balm with Mango Butter version and you guessed it, it’s good enough to eat! The brand is 100% natural and the lip balms are packed full of vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants so are a real treat for lips.
Maybelline Baby Lips – Current go-to stick is ‘Peach Kiss’. Surprisingly, this is the only tinted balm I am regularly using at the moment but it’s a lovely nude shade with a subtle shimmer. I think it fits in snugly with the 90’s nude trend that is so popular right now. Maybelline claim to give 8 hours hydration with this range and I’m not sure I’d go that far as I often find myself feeling the need to reapply after two-three hours when wearing this. I love the subtle colour payoff and the scent though,
and would definitely say this is my favourite Baby Lips balm at the moment.
So, as if I didn’t have enough lip balms I also have a wish list. Yes, that’s right. I’m not ashamed. And here it is…
1. Lanolips 101 ointment. I feel this is more of a need than a want. I’ve read so many good reviews of this and it’s won plenty of awards. Yes, this is definitely a need.
2. EOS Strawberry Sorbet and Honeysuckle Honeydew. Technically two lip balms in one wish here I know, but they both sound so delicious I had to include them both. Loving EOS at the moment and really want to add to my collection.
3. Vaseline Queen Bee. Another one to add to my ever growing Vaseline tubs! I’m a sucker for anything honey anyway, but with such a cute name and packaging, this has made it straight onto my wish list.
4. Santa’s Lip Scrub from Lush. The Christmas edition of my favourite lip scrub. Festive and from Lush? Of course it’s going to end up in my shopping basket!
5. The Body Shop’s Glazed Apple Lip Balm. I am obsessed with the glazed apple range. It started with the hand cream, followed today by the shower gel and I imagine will continue in the form of the lip balm. Simply divine.
Any other lip balm addicts out there? Please say I’m not alone! I’d love to know what your go-to treats for your lips are.